The Department of Health has announced the death of a second patient who contracted COVID-19 along with 39 new cases of the virus in the Republic – the biggest single-day increase.
The new cases are 29 males and 10 females. 21 are in the east of the country, 13 in the south, 3 in the northwest and 2 cases in the west.
In a statement, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said:
It is up to every one of us to play our role in slowing down the spread of this disease. […] Today’s increase in cases reinforces the necessity of the measures put in place last week, including hand and respiratory hygiene, social distancing, school closures and limiting the size of mass gatherings. I urge every citizen to follow these measures to protect our people, especially the most vulnerable in our society.
Dr Holohan also urged people not to use 112 or 999 as an advice line. “112/999 should only be used for emergencies for when an ambulance is required. This is not an advice line.”
The patient was a male in the east of the country and had an underlying medical condition.
Dr Holohan said it was important that everyone reduces social activity. “There are a lot of anecdotal reports of busy pubs and restaurants… it’s important that everyone reduces social activity.”
Holohan stressed that this “doesn’t mean you stay hiding at home”, asking people to go out and take walks.
The announcement now puts the total number of cases in the island of Ireland to 163, with Northern Ireland earlier announcing 5 more cases.
- 39 new cases of COVID-19, another patient dies in ROI - March 14, 2020
- Mary Lou McDonald says a response to Leo Varadkar is on the way - March 3, 2020